LOST AMUSEMENT PARKS OF STATEN ISLAND.

LostAmusementParksOfStatenIsland[Book: John Louis Sublett – 2014 – 15x23cm – 184 Pages – Many B&W photos]. Establishment of railroad service to Staten Island’s South Beach and Midland Beach areas in 1882 set off a wave of development. Hotels, dance halls, concessions, carousels, roller coasters, beer gardens, shooting galleries, bathing pavilions, theaters and Ferris wheels sprung up at both places. By 1890, ferries, trains and trolleys were filled to capacity with vacationers and day-trippers trying to reach Staten Island beaches. In the 1920’s, Staten Island beaches saw as many as 40,000 people each day during the summer months. A boardwalk was built in 1892 followed in 1906 by an amusement area called “Happyland.” Taking full advantage of the summer closings of most Broadway theaters, Happyland’s amusements, stage productions, and vaudeville shows attracted 30,000 visitors on opening day. It was a large park and lasted until 1927. Chapter Points: Happyland At South Beach; Beachland Amusements; South Beach Amusement Park; Midland Beach; Author’s Other Books. ANDY SHINE’S RATING: Good.